Friday, April 16, 2010

Happy with flowers




Here it is! I am quite excited to have finished my very first knitting project. Although I have vague memories of knitting little 4 x 4 sampler squares in my youth, I never endeavored to follow a pattern to actually MAKE something specific. I finally listened to my heart, and then followed the message to completion of a tea cosy or tea cozy -- depending on what part of the English speaking world you hail from! I'm especially proud of myself for (re)learning to knit from the wealth of how-to videos on the web, and for finding a pattern on the web, and for having the guts to alter the pattern to fit a smaller teapot, and the guts for trying a whole bunch of new techniques that fell in the "someday I want to try" category. I am very happy with the results, and I joyfully gave it to my good, tea-drinking friend.

Funny, now that it's all done and I don't have an ongoing knitting project, I feel a sense of missing something. I no longer have a little bag to open up at the end of the day to knit another couple of rows. Have I stepped on the path of becoming a knitting addict? :)


What kind of flowers are these?

This week I went on a walk with a friend and the park was blooming everywhere we looked. In a way, I feel like things are starting to move in my life after the quiet, internal phase of winter. I got a couple of very interesting music gigs this week. Happy, happy for the chance to do what I love.


You can see what others are saying about what makes them happy at http://www.tnc-thehappybook.blogspot.com/

5 comments:

  1. Careful of knitting addictions! Good job on the cozy. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your tea cozy. It is beautiful. And the pictures of the park are wonderful. Congratulations on your music gigs. What a great creative week you had. I hope that next week will be filled with just as many wonderful moments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helen, I love the cozy, too! We vacation on an island in the Bay of Fundy and the people who own our cottage offer tea each afternoon- I've become enchanted with tea cozies and sugar lumps. You really did a great job improvising the pattern. I know what you mean by the letdown after finishing a project like that. The Seaman's Institute used to be looking for folks to knit scarves, and maybe mittens for sailors; maybe that would be a good project to at least keep the needles warmed up while you look for another project for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow - that's an awesome first knitting project! I do like tea cozies, and this one definitely is adorable! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on the knitting. I am impressed! I hope that you are having a Happy week:)

    ReplyDelete