Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Wishcasting: What story do you wish to live or let go of?


This week for Wishcasting I wish to let go of a story that portrays me as unqualified or underqualified. I have had a tendency to feel that there is some prerequisite experience or knowledge that I need first in order to... fill in the blank. That could be -- put myself out there as a teacher or expert, create a composition, sing in public, or sell my services for anything that I'm able to do. I almost always feel there is some level of mastery to be achieved before I can legitimately put myself out there, or allow myself to create something new. This old story is weighing me down, and I wish to be like the dancing "grim reaper" on the tarot card I drew today. I want to leave the old decaying matter aside, and cut loose the threads to let new possibilities be released.

The possibilities? Mastery is not a prerequisite, it is an ever just-beyond-reach ideal. The new story I wish to live is that I have years of experience learning various disciplines and crafts, amassing knowledge, and that while the process will never end, people can still benefit from what I have within in me thus far. So while art and life are a work in progress, it's completely okay to share exactly where I am today. It is still something worthwhile to give.

10 comments:

  1. As Helen wishes for herself, so I wish for her also. I love the image of cutting the strings to the old story. It is so rich in my imagination...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~your words written express such desire to break free...may you wake each day and know in your heart whatever you wish to achieve is good, great wonderful...there are endless possibilities in your life ...you just have to allow yourself the freedom to choose...mastery comes from learning and by trying you are working towards greatness...as Helen wishes for herself so I wish greatly for her too...brightest blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  3. as helen wishes for herself, so i wish for her also. i hope you are able to open yourself up to new possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Helen wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

    Reading your words, i was reminded of what my mentor said in regards to becoming a yoga teacher. She said one day the love of the teachings became greater than her fear of teaching. I think of this whenever i teach; i will never be an expert, but what i have to offer is my love and passion for the material. It sounds like you could say the same of yourself - what you offer is enthusiasm and love for what you do. And i bet a fair amount of expertise :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As Helen wishes for herself, so I wish for her also. What all of us need is people who will share their love of what they are doing first and then the knowledge that they have. When I read what you write each week, I see someone with a great deal of passion and knowledge. Please share with others all the talents that you have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, people can benefit from you experience here and now. We're all a work in progress really.

    As Helen wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Helen, we all have a special awesomeness than no one else has. Resumes do not reveal such things. In fact they are designed to conceal them. It's time to change our system so that people's true greatness can shine through. You have lots of experience to share!

    Giulietta

    ReplyDelete
  8. As Helen wishes for herself, so I wish for her also

    ReplyDelete
  9. As Helen wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As Helen wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

    ReplyDelete